You define "family" for the XBL family game sharing.

Kotaku recently spoke with Phil Spencer about the X1 Family Sharing plan:

[Spencer and I discuss the Xbox One's new family sharing option, which lets 10 members of a "family" share access to games. This seems to be the best thing of all the uncustomary new parameters that have been established for this new Xbox. In a family group, the head of household can always play any game; and one other member of the family, no matter where they are, can play too.]

Kotaku: Can we be in the same family?

Spencer: Yeah.

Kotaku: What would be the limitation on that?

Spencer: [After encouraging me to check Microsoft's published document on this] I do think that sharing in a family group is an important part of the positives in our ecosystem today...You don't have to send in your birth certificate. You define what a family unit is and the people who connect to you and how that library works.

Kotaku: The 24-hour thing is required in order to enable this? You weren't jumping on the opportunity to argue that the 24-hour thing is a nice thing or a positive thing...

Spencer: I just said it's not one of the selling features of the box. To know that your licenses are always up to date, to know what content is associated with your account, if you're going to support gifting, if you're going to support the re-sale of content—because remember, when you go back and sell a disc now, the license is actually associated with your account, so if you think through the mechanism, the license has to get disassociated with your account, it has to get associated with somebody else's account, requires that we actually are able to check what licenses are available to you and those are available to you wherever you go.

While the X1 has caught heat for its supposed inability to share discs with friends, the truth might stand that it shares "games" better than any console ever has. If Phil can add random journalists and claim them as family, you Can add your cheap friends and unlike disc sharing, play your games at the same time. (Nor risk theft or destruction of the disc)

If this is indeed the case it could be a powerful lure for gamers who love to loan. What do you think?

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker