UK video games retailer GAME will not stock Mass Effect 3 or any of EA's March releases, an internal memo obtained by Eurogamer revealed today. The troubling news was met with a hasty drop in the store's share price, falling from 5.98p to 4.89p before leveling out at 5.00p even, representing a nearly 15 percent decline within 24 hours.
In the memo, GAME channel director Tom Devine explained to employees, "Last week we held an event for our publishers in the industry and explained the challenges we are facing in the short term, and we asked for their support." He added that the retailer asked publishers to "trade with us using manageable credit terms," which EA was apparently not willing to do.
"We will not stock products if the terms are not right for our business — a position we believe is critical to our long term health as a business — we have taken the very difficult decision to not stock EA's March releases, including Mass Effect 3," Devine added. He goes on to explain customers with canceled pre-orders will receive "£5 of reward card/ elite points."
The announcement follows a pattern of layoffs, store closings, rumored acquisitions by GameStop and even a similar scenario last week, when GAME announced it wouldn't carry Ubisoft's Vita launch titles due to having limited shelf space. We should have known something was fishy back then, since the amount of physical space Vita games occupy could be measured on the subatomic scale. We've contacted EA for a comment on the memo.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Microsoft hosting ID@Xbox open house before PAX kicks off
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- That bucket came from the moon: Yep, Destiny took the ice bucket challenge
- Weekend at Pokégon's: Open Thread - Aug 23-24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Female representation in gaming
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League