Electronic Arts has always promised that Battlefield 3 would receive copious amounts of post-release content, but since the game came out last October, there has only been one expansion: Back to Karkand. That expansion will have some company in June, with the release of the next Battlefield 3 map pack, titled Close Quarters.
Close Quarters will feature four new maps which, predictably, are all considerably smaller than the standard, wide-open Battlefield maps. Instead of large-scale battles between tanks and jets, Close Quarters will offer up room-to-room combat between infantry. In the announcement, DICE executive producer, Patrick Bach, mentioned that the maps would be similar in flow to Operation Metro, the map that was featured in the Battlefield 3 multiplayer beta. The expansion will also see the addition of 10 new weapons to the Battlefield arsenal.
Close Quarters will be joined in the fall by the third Battlefield 3 expansion, titled Armored Kill. In contrast to the smaller maps of Close Quarters, Armored Kill will be a return to form for Battlefield, with a focus on large-scale maps with vehicle-on-vehicle combat. As one would expect, new vehicles will be introduced as part of this pack.
The fourth (and final…that we know about) Battlefield 3 expansion is coming sometime towards the end of the year and will be called End Game. EA is being especially mum about this one, showing nothing more than a logo which highlights a soldier surrounded by darkness with a knife drawn. What this content will contain, whether it's more multiplayer or whether it'll give a new post-script to the single-player campaign, remains a mystery for now.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Nintendo lost $97M last quarter even with the success of Mario Kart 8
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?