The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will receive Kinect functionality and a bevy of new user interface changes in a free update scheduled for later this month, Bethesda announced today.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim receives Kinect functionality and a bevy of new user interface changes in a free update scheduled for later this month, Bethesda announced today.
The update will allow Kinect owners to achieve one of the most delightful applications of the device's voice-detection functionality thus far: actual Dragon Shouts. Instead of having to go through a menu to find the Shout that fits your situation at hand, you'll actually be able to activate it by shouting the appropriate words in real life. Assuming, of course, that you've spent some time memorizing fictional, draconic languages. Fus Ro Dah!
Does that sound familiar? This feature was part of Bethesda's "Game Jam" reel shown at DICE 2012, though it was merely a proof of concept at that point, and not a thing we ever assumed would actually happen.
You'll also be able to use your voice to issue Follower commands and navigate menus. The patch also includes additional parameters for sorting your inventory, and gives access to new map functionality. Check out the video below for a preview, and start brushing up on your Dragon-speak.
Update: Bethesda revealed to CNN that the update will be released sometime during the week of April 23.
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Explore Unreal Tournament in these 5 gameplay videos
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
- GTA 4 now looks as good as GTA 5 — if you have a PC
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today