The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will receive Kinect functionality and a bevy of new user interface changes in a free update scheduled for later this month, Bethesda announced today.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim receives Kinect functionality and a bevy of new user interface changes in a free update scheduled for later this month, Bethesda announced today.
The update will allow Kinect owners to achieve one of the most delightful applications of the device's voice-detection functionality thus far: actual Dragon Shouts. Instead of having to go through a menu to find the Shout that fits your situation at hand, you'll actually be able to activate it by shouting the appropriate words in real life. Assuming, of course, that you've spent some time memorizing fictional, draconic languages. Fus Ro Dah!
Does that sound familiar? This feature was part of Bethesda's "Game Jam" reel shown at DICE 2012, though it was merely a proof of concept at that point, and not a thing we ever assumed would actually happen.
You'll also be able to use your voice to issue Follower commands and navigate menus. The patch also includes additional parameters for sorting your inventory, and gives access to new map functionality. Check out the video below for a preview, and start brushing up on your Dragon-speak.
Update: Bethesda revealed to CNN that the update will be released sometime during the week of April 23.
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- Rogue Legacy survival guide: How to keep that family tree growing
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Gearbox fights back in Aliens suit, says it paid millions of its own cash to finish game
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30