Dishonored's debut trailer.
This new trailer for Dishonored may be entirely CGI, but it still gives us a tantalizing glimpse at a universe that mixes magic, assassins and steampunk.
In development by Arkane Studios, the first-person action game casts you in the role of a supernatural assassin who is as known for his frightening mask as his brutal kills.
"You are the once-trusted bodyguard of the beloved Empress," according to the press release. "Framed for her murder, you become an infamous assassin, known only by the disturbing mask that has become your calling card. In a time of uncertainty, when the city is being besieged by plague and ruled by an oppressive government armed with strange technologies, dark forces conspire to bestow upon you abilities beyond those of any common man."
In the game, players will need to "creatively eliminate your targets with the flexible combat system as you combine the numerous supernatural abilities, weapons and unusual gadgets at your disposal. Pursue your enemies under the cover of darkness or ruthlessly attack them head on with weapons drawn. The outcome of each mission plays out based on the choices you make."
Among the game's designers are Harvey Smith, of Deus Ex and Thief fame, and Raf Colantonio, who worked on Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
Dishonored, published by Bethesda Softworks, is due out later this year on the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. Check back next week for our thoughts on the game in action.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)