Dishonored's debut trailer.
This new trailer for Dishonored may be entirely CGI, but it still gives us a tantalizing glimpse at a universe that mixes magic, assassins and steampunk.
In development by Arkane Studios, the first-person action game casts you in the role of a supernatural assassin who is as known for his frightening mask as his brutal kills.
"You are the once-trusted bodyguard of the beloved Empress," according to the press release. "Framed for her murder, you become an infamous assassin, known only by the disturbing mask that has become your calling card. In a time of uncertainty, when the city is being besieged by plague and ruled by an oppressive government armed with strange technologies, dark forces conspire to bestow upon you abilities beyond those of any common man."
In the game, players will need to "creatively eliminate your targets with the flexible combat system as you combine the numerous supernatural abilities, weapons and unusual gadgets at your disposal. Pursue your enemies under the cover of darkness or ruthlessly attack them head on with weapons drawn. The outcome of each mission plays out based on the choices you make."
Among the game's designers are Harvey Smith, of Deus Ex and Thief fame, and Raf Colantonio, who worked on Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
Dishonored, published by Bethesda Softworks, is due out later this year on the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. Check back next week for our thoughts on the game in action.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The best new video game toys from Comic-Con
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming