Arcen Games' A Valley Without Wind goes on sale on Steam today.
Arcen Games' much-anticipated 2D sidescroller A Valley Without Wind hits Steam today.
A Valley Without Wind (AVWW) is an indie darling that garnered a lot of media attention during its beta for its unusual take on a post-apocalyptic world. Merging several game genres into one, AVWW is procedurally generated with tactical combat and strategic planning.
The game world combines fantasy with science fiction, featuring a mix of magic and technology.
When the game was still in beta, the founder, lead designer and programmer on AVWW, Chris Park, described the central idea as that of an infinitely explorable world.
"Most of my games explore the idea that the world might seem overwhelmingly scary and huge, but you do have power," he said.
"In AVWW, it's your power in the face of infinite, unrelenting wilderness. A focus of the game is on the deeds that you've accomplished in the past and the impact that has made on the world around you.
"That ability to find your own ways to affect the world, even though you're in a situation that feels hopeless, is something that I always really admire in literature, movies, and a few other games," he said.
The game has come a long way since its beta. Both the visual style and mechanics are almost unrecognizable from its early build and the game has made strides in advancing the environment, the character customization system, and adapting to the player's behavior.
A Valley Without Wind is out now on Steam for PC and Mac. Purchase it from Arcen Games during launch week to receive 10% off.
Check out the launch trailer below.
- Madden 15 review: victory formation
- Sarkeesian driven out of home by online abuse and death threats
- Inside a video game voiceover studio
- Quake Live is changing, in part to find a wider audience on Steam
- SWAT threat locks down school, gets Counter-Strike player slammed to the ground
- A lightning tour of Infamous: First Light's scaled-down scope
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Old Iron King - A spoiler-free guide
- What's exclusive to the PlayStation versions of Destiny?
- Amazon and Twitch are the competitors YouTube needs
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character