EA named worst company in America by The Consumerist's readers.
Somehow a video game publisher found its way onto The Consumerist vying against the likes of internet providers, banks, cell phone services and airlines for the annual Worst Company in America award.
That publisher, Electronic Arts, today managed to beat out Bank of America to win that infamy, garnering more votes from The Consumerist readers in the final round of polling that kicked off with 32 companies.
"After more than 250,000 votes, Consumerist readers ultimately decided that the type of greed exhibited by EA, which is supposed to be making the world a more fun place, is worse than Bank of America's avarice, which some would argue is the entire point of operating a bank," according to the post on the vote.
That it is a company that makes its money creating video games for millions of people world wide and not, say, a company tied to America's economic downfall, didn't go unnoticed by EA when they responded to Vox Games for comment today.
"We're sure that bank presidents, oil, tobacco and weapons companies are all relieved they weren't on the list this year," John Reseburg, EA's senior director of corporate communications, wrote in reply to Vox Games. "We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide."
Reseburg went on to point to a number of recent stories about the company that he says are an indicator of "our connection with consumers in more meaningful ways."
Those stories included The Human Rights Campaign circulating a petition supporting EA for their decision to have developers include same-sex relationships in recent games including Star Wars: The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3, developer BioWare making it to the finals of The Escapist's Best Developer awards and EA Sports asking gamers to vote for the cover athletes for Madden NFL 13, NCAA Football 13 and NHL 13.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- What is your Current Game of the Year?