Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 accidentally unveiled early.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 was confirmed by the game's official UK website this morning which describes the shooter as set during a 21st Century Cold War and hints at a battle in Los Angeles. The game hits on Nov. 13 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
The Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 website appears to have gone up early, confirming the much rumored name and near-future setting for the game.
In the description for a trailer, which won't play yet, the game is concisely detailed:
"Pushing the boundaries of what fans have come to expect from the record-setting entertainment franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 propels players into a near future, 21st Century Cold War, where technology and weapons have converged to create a new generation of warfare. Pre-order today."
A link to play the trailer sends viewers to a thumbnail of the video, but won't allow the video to play. One of the thumbnails shows what appears to be the words "Los Angeles" written across it and an image of a helicopter flying over a freeway. In the distance you can see high-rises on fire, pillars of smoke and other hovering helicopters.
Over on the images portion of the site are placeholders for two "Coming Soon" pictures. Clicking on them reveals that one is called quadrotor and that the other is called claw. Both images show screenshots obfuscated by television white noise and the words "Coming Soon." With a little help from photo editors it appears that the quadrotor image was one of the screens leaked earlier today. The Claw image appears to show some sort of tank or artillery weapon.
The official site lists a launch date of Nov. 13, 2012. A pre-order page lists PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game. No 3DS or Vita versions are mentioned. Last week, Target confirmed that they would be taking pre-orders for the game starting May 2, saying the shooter would be coming out on Nov. 13.
The official, though likely accidental, confirmation of place, time, release date and platforms comes on the heels of a Japanese website leaking images that appear to be screenshots from the game. The game's official reveal is scheduled for tonight during the NBA playoffs on TNT.
The gallery below includes the three box shots for the game as well as three thumbnails plucked from the still private YouTube video.
- The fixer: Why Rod Fergusson returned to Gears of War
- Polygon Plays: Deus Ex - Episode one
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is the chili cheese fry of Marvel's movie collection
- Players want more options than murder, and GTA 5 proves it
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- OneeChanbara is still kicking, bringing NSFW zombie-slashing action to PS4 this fall
- Hollywood taking a second stab at a Dead Island movie
- ABC just launched history's biggest, most well-funded LARP
- No Man's Sky will come to PC, is a PS4 timed exclusive
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell (update)
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Looking for some good Players
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Rock1m1's review on Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!