Our first look at Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 in action.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 takes place in the year 2025 and features walking robotic tanks, armed quadcopter drones and a plot that seems to pivot on the threat of a hacker takeover of an increasingly autonomous military.
In tonight's two-minute trailer, aired during the NBA playoffs on TNT, we get our first look at the Treyarch developed game due out on Nov. 13.
An opening surprise shows that Sgt. Frank Woods, last seen flying out a window with a grenade-laden Russian terrorist and seemingly exploding, is still very much alive. As narrator he walks us through the military technology of 2025. That includes a heavier reliance on vertical takeoff and landing aircraft, diminutive quadcopters armed with machineguns, stealth planes, four-legged armored robot vehicles and high-tech wearable computers.
"We build computers, robots, unmanned armies," he says, "and no one ever asks what happens when the enemy steals the keys?"
The video doesn't just walk us through the game's plot, it also gives us a taste of what some of the gameplay elements may include. We see an aircraft, apparently under control by the player. We see battles along a highway in Los Angeles. One scene shows the player apparently on horseback tearing through a desert with helicopters flying around overhead.
In the title card, the date 7.23.86 briefly appears. That is the date Prince Andrew, Duke of York married Sarah Ferguson at Westminster Abbey. Fingers crossed for an undercover wedding crashing flashback!
Check out our in-depth coverage of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, including a collection of articles, video interviews and new screen shots.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepared for Titanfall? (Mon 10 Mar)