Blizzard and Valve are agreeing to share the DOTA trademark, the two companies announced today. Though only one of them is renaming their game.
Under the terms of the agreement, Valve, which holds the trademark for the game name, will continue to use it commercially, including for Dota 2, while Blizzard, whose game original spawned the genre, retains noncommercial use of the DOTA name for use in their community, specifically for player-created maps for Warcraft 3 and StarCraft 2.
"Both Blizzard and Valve recognize that, at the end of the day, players just want to be able to play the games they're looking forward to, so we're happy to come to an agreement that helps both of us stay focused on that," said Rob Pardo, executive vice president of game design at Blizzard Entertainment. "As part of this agreement, we're going to be changing the name of Blizzard DOTA to Blizzard All-Stars, which ultimately better reflects the design of our game. We look forward to going into more detail on that at a later date."
Valve president Gabe Newell said he's pleased with the outcome.
"We both want to focus on the things our fans care about, creating and shipping great games for our communities," he said.
Defense of the Ancients or DotA started as an action real-time strategy mod of Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos. The game type has evolved over the years, gaining popularity and spawning a number of spin offs including League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth and, most recently, Dota 2.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Action Henk gets seven new levels and tricky challenges for 'die-hard players'
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- EA offers top games and big discounts for $5 a month
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???