In the first 24 hours of its release Diablo 3 sold more than 3.5 million copies, Blizzard announced this morning. The pace sets a new record for PC games sales, they said.
In the first 24 hours of its release Diablo 3 sold more than 3.5 million copies, Blizzard announced this morning. The pace sets a new record for PC games sales, it said.
And that number doesn't include the 1.2 million people who received the game after signing up for the World of Warcraft annual pass promotion.
As of this week, 6.3 million people are playing Diablo 3.
None of these numbers include the game's successes in Internet gaming rooms. In Korea, for instance, more than 39 percent of gamers are playing the game.
"We're definitely thrilled that so many people around the world were excited to pick up their copy of Diablo 3 and jump in the moment it went live," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "We also regret that our preparations were not enough to ensure everyone had a seamless experience when they did so. I want to reaffirm our commitment to make sure the millions of Diablo 3 players out there have a great experience with the game moving forward, and I also want to thank them for their ongoing support."
Not surprising considering the numbers, both Amazon and GameStop said the game was one of their biggest PC game launches ever.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Project Spark Love
- After this, GTA V for PC is pretty much confirmed
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?