In the first 24 hours of its release Diablo 3 sold more than 3.5 million copies, Blizzard announced this morning. The pace sets a new record for PC games sales, they said.
In the first 24 hours of its release Diablo 3 sold more than 3.5 million copies, Blizzard announced this morning. The pace sets a new record for PC games sales, it said.
And that number doesn't include the 1.2 million people who received the game after signing up for the World of Warcraft annual pass promotion.
As of this week, 6.3 million people are playing Diablo 3.
None of these numbers include the game's successes in Internet gaming rooms. In Korea, for instance, more than 39 percent of gamers are playing the game.
"We're definitely thrilled that so many people around the world were excited to pick up their copy of Diablo 3 and jump in the moment it went live," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "We also regret that our preparations were not enough to ensure everyone had a seamless experience when they did so. I want to reaffirm our commitment to make sure the millions of Diablo 3 players out there have a great experience with the game moving forward, and I also want to thank them for their ongoing support."
Not surprising considering the numbers, both Amazon and GameStop said the game was one of their biggest PC game launches ever.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- Call of Duty: Ghosts' latest map pack lets you kill with mine carts, extreme Canadian weather
- Gearbox fights back in Aliens suit, says it paid millions of its own cash to finish game
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30