Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Solomon Grundy duke it out in Warner's next fighting game.
Mortal Kombat's many mediocre sequels proved one thing: People just wanted the original Mortal Kombat back. And that's what NetherRealm delivered with last year's predictably-titled Mortal Kombat. Modern graphics and control tweaks, sure, but at its core it remained true to the original. It's that same spirit that's being brought to NetherRealm's next fighting game: Injustice: Gods Among Us.
Injustice is likely last year's Mortal Kombat engine, but with DC superheroes and villains instead of Scorpion and Sub Zero. Among the included characters will be Batman, Harley Quinn, Solomon Grundy, Superman, The Flash and Wonder Woman. The title, likely a reference to DC's super villain cabal, The Injustice League, seems to imply that they're the main antagonists of the story.
"With Injustice: Gods Among Us, we are creating an all-new franchise with incredible battles set in the DC Comics Universe," said Martin Tremblay, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "NetherRealm Studios is the extremely talented team behind the latest Mortal Kombat hit and it is developing a game unlike any other in the fighting genre."
"We can't wait to reveal Injustice: Gods Among Us because it will give our fans and gamers an epic experience as they battle like gods as their favorite DC Comics villains and heroes," said Ed Boon, Creative Director, NetherRealm Studios. "Our team is excited to make a fighting game that is filled with fast-paced action, incredible story-telling and iconic DC Comics characters."
2011's Mortal Kombat was a big hit with classic fighting gamers. While there likely won't be as much gore in Injustice, that loss will be replaced by more fanservice than you can stomach and we fully expect the fighting engine to remain the same top-notch pedigree as last year. Whether there's more to Injustice than just a DC reskin, though... that's hard to say until we've had a chance to play it. Good thing E3's only a week away.
The game will be coming out in 2013 to the PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360.
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- How cows predicted the seedy underbelly of social gaming
- The Swapper coming to Wii U later this year
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- A New Steam Controller