Bioshock Infinite delayed until February 2013
Bioshock Infinite won't be coming until February 26, 2013, a roughly four month delay spurred by the need to make a number of "tweaks and improvements" to the upcoming Irrational Games title, the studio announced today.
"When we announced the release date of BioShock Infinite in March, we felt pretty good about the timing," Irrational Games co-founder Ken Levine said in a prepared statement.
"Since then, we've come to realize that some specific tweaks and improvements will make Infinite into something even more extraordinary. Therefore, to give our talented team the time they need, we've decided to move the game's release to February 26, 2013. We wanted to let our loyal (and very patient!) fans know this as soon as possible."
The third title in the Bioshock series was initially scheduled to release this fall, in October, however in an official statement, studio head Ken Levine explained: "I won't kid you: BioShock Infinite is a very big game".
The original Bioshock was also delayed for several months as its original ship date drew near, Levine says. "Because the Big Daddies weren't the Big Daddies you've since come to know and love. Because Andrew Ryan's golf club didn't have exactly the right swing. Because Rapture needed one more coat of grimy Art Deco."
"The same principle now applies to BioShock Infinite," Levine continues.
"What does this mean for you? It means a bit more waiting, but more importantly, it means an even better BioShock Infinite. The great can be made greater, and we owe it to both ourselves and to you, our fans, to take this opportunity. Irrational Games is one of those rare developers lucky enough to ask the people who sign the checks: 'Hey, can we have a few more of those checks?'
Irrational Games will also hold off on showing Bioshock Infinite at this year's E3 and GamesCom.
"We are also going to hold off on showing BioShock Infinite at the big events of the summer, like E3 and GamesCom. That way, the next time you see our game, it will be essentially the product we intend to put in the box. Preparing for these events takes time away from development, time we're going to use instead to get the best version of Infinite into your hands in February."
Bioshock Infinite follows former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt to a sky-city called Columbia where he must rescue a young woman imprisoned there since childhood. The game is in development for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.
- Madden 15 review: victory formation
- Sarkeesian driven out of home by online abuse and death threats
- Inside a video game voiceover studio
- Quake Live is changing, in part to find a wider audience on Steam
- SWAT threat locks down school, gets Counter-Strike player slammed to the ground
- A lightning tour of Infamous: First Light's scaled-down scope
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Old Iron King - A spoiler-free guide
- What's exclusive to the PlayStation versions of Destiny?
- Amazon and Twitch are the competitors YouTube needs
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- On Patreon support
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 27
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Spacecom is 4X strategy, and you can grab beta keys here
- Where to buy?
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.
- Games with great Sound Design
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)