Oddworld Inhabitants confirm complete remake of Abe's Oddysee
Classic platform title Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee will be remade from scratch according to studio Oddworld Inhabitants who promise more than a simple HD update to the original game.
"OK, so here's the skinny on Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee We decided to reboot it, not just an HD update to the original PSone title, this is a new game," read a post made on the Oddworld Inhabitants Facebook page. "It will be getting it's first public showing later this year, with a release date of next summer (2013)."
Speaking to VG247, Just Add Water developer Stewart Gilray emphasized the studio is not interested in a traditional graphics-based update.
"We are re-making Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, however we didn't want the impression to be that we were just doing a port of the PSone title with higher res art," he said.
"We are starting from scratch on this one, using the original as the blueprint for the game. So technically it's not a new game, but a from-the-ground-up remake."
This follows a statement made by series creator Lorne Lanning earlier in the year which called the upcoming Abe HD title being developed by Just Add Water is simply an update of the original redone in a 3D physics engine as a 2D side-scrolling platformer.
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- The Titanfall for Vita that wasn't and the decision that changed its name
- PS3 bundled with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for $269 at Walmart
- Meet the gay soldier you didn't know was in Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City