Canadian-based Radical Entertainment is shutting down, according to a Tweet from an employee.
Canadian-based Radical Entertainment is essentially shutting down, the victim of lackluster Prototype 2 sales, Activision officials said today.
"Although we made a substantial investment in the Prototype IP, it did not find a broad commercial audience," according to an Activision statement. "Radical is a very talented team of developers, however, we have explored various options for the studio, including a potential sale of the business, and have made a difficult conclusion through the consultation process that the only remaining option is a significant reduction in staff. As such, some employees will remain working for Radical Entertainment supporting other existing Activision Publishing projects, but the studio will cease development of its own games going forward."
Rob Bridgett, senior audio director of Radical since 2007, tweeted "RIP Radical Entertainment 1991-2012" earlier today.
Calls to the studio were answered by an automated voice mail service.
Radical Entertainment, a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, was formed in 1991 in Vancouver. Perhaps best known for their work on Prototype and Prototype 2, the company got their start as an indie developer working on games like 1992's Wayne's World, The Terminator and Brett Hull Hockey 95.
The company was acquired by Vivendi Universal Games in 2005, and went on to developer games like Scarface: The World is Yours and The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. The company also had a short stint developing Crash Bandicoot games. In 2008, the studio became part of Activision Blizzard, where they went on to develop 2009's Prototype and Prototype 2 last year.
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- PlayStation Store flash sale discounts Braid, Tokyo Jungle and more to just $0.99
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Which platform will you get Dark Souls 2 on?