DLC for Curiousity will cost up to £50,000.
Peter Molyneux's latest social game experiment Curiosity will have a £50,000 piece of DLC.
In the game, players use chisels to chip at a large black cube in the center of a room. The player who cracks the cube will witness something "truly amazing, absolutely unique" - but only that one player will see it.
Molyneux's studio 22Cans will sell DLC that upgrades players' chisel, ranging from a cheap iron chisel to a £50,000 diamond chisel. The diamond chisel is 100,000 times more powerful than a regular chisel and there will only be one available for purchase, giving the player who purchases it the greatest chance at cracking the cube.
Molyneux told GamesRadar that he is interested in the psychology of social games, and is curious how the player who cracks the cube will share the news. "How will this person prove it? That in itself becomes a fascinating aspect of this experiment," he said.
"It's an insane amount of money," he said of the diamond chisel. "This is not a money-making exercise. It is a test about the psychology of monetisation."
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?