Sega wants to turn its mascot into an iconic character like Hello Kitty.
Sega is hoping to make Sonic the Hedgehog as iconic a character as Sanrio's Hello Kitty, according to COO of Sega Europe Jurgen Post.
Speaking to MCVUK, Post stated the company plans to merchandise its mascot across America and Europe.
"We dream of Hello Kitty. We're still far off from that but we can see that our profits are growing year on year in the US and Europe [on merchandising].
"We've got a licensing team on the ground in the UK who are focusing on that and that team will expand. We've got a team in the US and which will also expand. We used to run it all out of Sega of Japan, but having people on the ground is making a big difference."
Post added that this move toward marketing the Sonic character is as important to the continuation of the franchise as Sega's game development.
"We will always do the computer game but the merchandising is a very important aspect to Sonic."
Sega is currently in the process of restructuring, while focusing on its four major IPs: Sonic, Aliens, Total War, and Football Manager. The company recently shut down offices in France, Germany, Spain, Australia, and Benelux as part of this shift.
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Hotline Miami publisher is coming to the rescue of GaymerX after this week's funding mishap
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- PAX Prime 2014's featured indies include Mushroom 11, Duet, Framed
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today