Sega wants to turn its mascot into an iconic character like Hello Kitty.
Sega is hoping to make Sonic the Hedgehog as iconic a character as Sanrio's Hello Kitty, according to COO of Sega Europe Jurgen Post.
Speaking to MCVUK, Post stated the company plans to merchandise its mascot across America and Europe.
"We dream of Hello Kitty. We're still far off from that but we can see that our profits are growing year on year in the US and Europe [on merchandising].
"We've got a licensing team on the ground in the UK who are focusing on that and that team will expand. We've got a team in the US and which will also expand. We used to run it all out of Sega of Japan, but having people on the ground is making a big difference."
Post added that this move toward marketing the Sonic character is as important to the continuation of the franchise as Sega's game development.
"We will always do the computer game but the merchandising is a very important aspect to Sonic."
Sega is currently in the process of restructuring, while focusing on its four major IPs: Sonic, Aliens, Total War, and Football Manager. The company recently shut down offices in France, Germany, Spain, Australia, and Benelux as part of this shift.
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- Game development
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Thief: Sneak sneak, steal steal, curse curse
- XBOne Classifieds
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- What Game Currently Keeps You Coming Back For More?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux