Sega wants to turn its mascot into an iconic character like Hello Kitty.
Sega is hoping to make Sonic the Hedgehog as iconic a character as Sanrio's Hello Kitty, according to COO of Sega Europe Jurgen Post.
Speaking to MCVUK, Post stated the company plans to merchandise its mascot across America and Europe.
"We dream of Hello Kitty. We're still far off from that but we can see that our profits are growing year on year in the US and Europe [on merchandising].
"We've got a licensing team on the ground in the UK who are focusing on that and that team will expand. We've got a team in the US and which will also expand. We used to run it all out of Sega of Japan, but having people on the ground is making a big difference."
Post added that this move toward marketing the Sonic character is as important to the continuation of the franchise as Sega's game development.
"We will always do the computer game but the merchandising is a very important aspect to Sonic."
Sega is currently in the process of restructuring, while focusing on its four major IPs: Sonic, Aliens, Total War, and Football Manager. The company recently shut down offices in France, Germany, Spain, Australia, and Benelux as part of this shift.
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Guild Wars' nine year anniversary festivities kick off April 22
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Post Your Rig!
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II