Minecraft is being sued for patent infringement by a tech company that can't spell Minecraft.
Minecraft developer Mojang is being sued for alleged patent infringement in the development of the Android version of the popular game, Eurogamer reports.
The lawsuit is being filed by Luxembourg-based Uniloc, a group which specializes in copy protection technology and has a history of suing small companies on the basis of patents.
Uniloc claims it is the exclusive license-holder of patent '067, a "system and method for preventing unauthorized access to electronic data," said to be infringed upon in the Android title. As stated in the lawsuit, the company claims Mojang is infringing on their patent "by or through making, using, offering for sale, selling and/or importing Android based applications for use on cellular phones and/or tablet devices that require communication with a server to perform a license check to prevent the unauthorized use of said application, including, but not limited to, Mindcraft".
The full suit is published online by game developer Markus "Notch" Persson, including the misspelling of Minecraft. Uniloc hopes for a trial by jury.
In response to the news, Notch took to his Twitter account to confirm the studio will not be threatened so easily.
"Unfortunately for them, they're suing us over a software patent. If needed, I will throw piles of money at making sure they don't get a cent."
Uniloc is also filing claims against Halfbrick, the studio behind Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride, Gameloft, Square Enix, X-Plane creator Laminar Research, and Electronic Arts.
- The amazing real-world Assassin's Creed Unity parkour run and how it was created
- The new Unreal Tournament looks incredible, see it in motion
- Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action
- Here is how anyone can get The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition for free
- Titanfall getting in-game currency in update 5, coming July 31 with Frontier's Edge map pack
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Spare Xbox One code
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23