Minecraft is being sued for patent infringement by a tech company that can't spell Minecraft.
Minecraft developer Mojang is being sued for alleged patent infringement in the development of the Android version of the popular game, Eurogamer reports.
The lawsuit is being filed by Luxembourg-based Uniloc, a group which specializes in copy protection technology and has a history of suing small companies on the basis of patents.
Uniloc claims it is the exclusive license-holder of patent '067, a "system and method for preventing unauthorized access to electronic data," said to be infringed upon in the Android title. As stated in the lawsuit, the company claims Mojang is infringing on their patent "by or through making, using, offering for sale, selling and/or importing Android based applications for use on cellular phones and/or tablet devices that require communication with a server to perform a license check to prevent the unauthorized use of said application, including, but not limited to, Mindcraft".
The full suit is published online by game developer Markus "Notch" Persson, including the misspelling of Minecraft. Uniloc hopes for a trial by jury.
In response to the news, Notch took to his Twitter account to confirm the studio will not be threatened so easily.
"Unfortunately for them, they're suing us over a software patent. If needed, I will throw piles of money at making sure they don't get a cent."
Uniloc is also filing claims against Halfbrick, the studio behind Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride, Gameloft, Square Enix, X-Plane creator Laminar Research, and Electronic Arts.
- How Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition tricked us into playing Diablo 3 again
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Buy side-scroller Azure Striker Gunvolt on 3DS, get 8-bit throwback Mighty Gunvolt free
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?
- Could Nintendo go third party?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall