MechWarrior Online, the upcoming free-to-play MMO, will feature a map called Caustic Valley, which is detailed in a video released today.
MechWarrior Online, the upcoming free-to-play MMO from developer Piranha Games, will feature a scorching hot map called Caustic Valley, according to a video released today.
The aplty-named valley, nestled uncomfortably close to a volcano, poses an elemental challenge for mechanical combatants. Mechs will run hotter and heat will disburse slower in haze of Caustic Valley, posing a particular challenge to larger mechs.
The video includes tips on how to avoid the hottest areas of the map (hint: steer clear of the volcano) and reveals that ballistic weapons, which generate less overall heat, possess a natural advantage. Mech pilots can also can use heat to their advantage. The valley's high temperatures make it possible to hide a mech from detection among the heat signatures given off by objects in the unforgiving environment.
MechWarrior Online is scheduled to launch August 7th on PC in a closed beta for paying "Founders Program" members. Piranha expects to unleash their mechs to the public later this year.
You can watch the video though the haze below.
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax will include story DLC, RPG-like arena mode
- Investors put up millions for a virtual reality treadmill and now it could come to consoles