The Nintendo 3DS XL moved 193,000 units at launch, almost half of the original 3DS' launch.
New Super Mario Bros. 2, released along the new handheld, sold around 430,185 copies. Whether this number includes digital sales is not noted.
The original 3DS sold through its launch-day shipment of 400,000 units in March last year. Sales of the 3DS XL did outperform the Nintendo DSi, launched in 2008, which sold over 170,000 units. Its larger verison, the DSi XL, moved 100,000 at its release in 2009.
Sony's rival PlayStation Vita sold 321,407 units on its release in Japan in December 2011.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- 25 character code not working on Xbox1
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Women in Games: A Reaction