Steam Greenlight will allow the community to vote on Steam distribution this August.
Steam Greenlight, a service that will allow community members to vote on games for Steam distribution and provide developers with feedback, will launch in late August, Valve announced today.
Valve hopes to facilitate the release of games on Steam with the service, which asks the community to review information posted by developers and lend their support to titles that pique interest.
"The community should be deciding what gets released," reads the announcement on Steam's official website. "After all, it's the community that will ultimately be the ones deciding which release they spend their money on."
The current model for Greenlight does not require a specific number of votes for a submission to be accepted for distribution, but states that Valve will reach out to developers whose games have gained significant traction. The company urges developers to post game information "as early in the development process as you are comfortable with" so long as any posted materials "are far enough along" that community members can provide quality feedback.
Greenlight will join Steam Workshop in Valve's goal to "increase the volume and quality of creative submissions." Workshop was started in October 2011 as a way to create a more active community through customer ratings and feedback.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor trailer gets cozy with vile Orc
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse