Steam Greenlight will allow the community to vote on Steam distribution this August.
Steam Greenlight, a service that will allow community members to vote on games for Steam distribution and provide developers with feedback, will launch in late August, Valve announced today.
Valve hopes to facilitate the release of games on Steam with the service, which asks the community to review information posted by developers and lend their support to titles that pique interest.
"The community should be deciding what gets released," reads the announcement on Steam's official website. "After all, it's the community that will ultimately be the ones deciding which release they spend their money on."
The current model for Greenlight does not require a specific number of votes for a submission to be accepted for distribution, but states that Valve will reach out to developers whose games have gained significant traction. The company urges developers to post game information "as early in the development process as you are comfortable with" so long as any posted materials "are far enough along" that community members can provide quality feedback.
Greenlight will join Steam Workshop in Valve's goal to "increase the volume and quality of creative submissions." Workshop was started in October 2011 as a way to create a more active community through customer ratings and feedback.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- EA offers top games and big discounts for $5 a month
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake