Steam Greenlight will allow the community to vote on Steam distribution this August.
Steam Greenlight, a service that will allow community members to vote on games for Steam distribution and provide developers with feedback, will launch in late August, Valve announced today.
Valve hopes to facilitate the release of games on Steam with the service, which asks the community to review information posted by developers and lend their support to titles that pique interest.
"The community should be deciding what gets released," reads the announcement on Steam's official website. "After all, it's the community that will ultimately be the ones deciding which release they spend their money on."
The current model for Greenlight does not require a specific number of votes for a submission to be accepted for distribution, but states that Valve will reach out to developers whose games have gained significant traction. The company urges developers to post game information "as early in the development process as you are comfortable with" so long as any posted materials "are far enough along" that community members can provide quality feedback.
Greenlight will join Steam Workshop in Valve's goal to "increase the volume and quality of creative submissions." Workshop was started in October 2011 as a way to create a more active community through customer ratings and feedback.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- Shadowrun Returns gets a Director's Cut of its expansion this September
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible