Steam Greenlight will allow the community to vote on Steam distribution this August.
Steam Greenlight, a service that will allow community members to vote on games for Steam distribution and provide developers with feedback, will launch in late August, Valve announced today.
Valve hopes to facilitate the release of games on Steam with the service, which asks the community to review information posted by developers and lend their support to titles that pique interest.
"The community should be deciding what gets released," reads the announcement on Steam's official website. "After all, it's the community that will ultimately be the ones deciding which release they spend their money on."
The current model for Greenlight does not require a specific number of votes for a submission to be accepted for distribution, but states that Valve will reach out to developers whose games have gained significant traction. The company urges developers to post game information "as early in the development process as you are comfortable with" so long as any posted materials "are far enough along" that community members can provide quality feedback.
Greenlight will join Steam Workshop in Valve's goal to "increase the volume and quality of creative submissions." Workshop was started in October 2011 as a way to create a more active community through customer ratings and feedback.
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Guild Wars' nine year anniversary festivities kick off April 22
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Post Your Rig!
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II