Steam Greenlight will allow the community to vote on Steam distribution this August.
Steam Greenlight, a service that will allow community members to vote on games for Steam distribution and provide developers with feedback, will launch in late August, Valve announced today.
Valve hopes to facilitate the release of games on Steam with the service, which asks the community to review information posted by developers and lend their support to titles that pique interest.
"The community should be deciding what gets released," reads the announcement on Steam's official website. "After all, it's the community that will ultimately be the ones deciding which release they spend their money on."
The current model for Greenlight does not require a specific number of votes for a submission to be accepted for distribution, but states that Valve will reach out to developers whose games have gained significant traction. The company urges developers to post game information "as early in the development process as you are comfortable with" so long as any posted materials "are far enough along" that community members can provide quality feedback.
Greenlight will join Steam Workshop in Valve's goal to "increase the volume and quality of creative submissions." Workshop was started in October 2011 as a way to create a more active community through customer ratings and feedback.
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Why the makers of Guacamelee decided to make a touch game about a one-armed woman
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- State of Decay's Lifeline DLC is just the start of Undead Labs' 'long-term ambitions'
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!