Resident Evil.net, the free online service attached to Resident Evil 6, will launch alongside the game on October 2nd, Capcom announced today.
Resident Evil.net, the free online service attached to Resident Evil 6, the latest installment of Capcom's long-running survival horror franchise, will launch alongside the game on October 2nd, Capcom announced today.
At launch, the service will act as a web portal allowing players access to information about their Resident Evil 6 experiences in real time, and Capcom is developing a smartphone app for iOS, Android, and Windows devices to launch later. Resident Evil.net will offer leader boards, play session statistics, achievements, and high scores that can be compared against friends. It will will also act as a hub for community challenges of the "kill 10,000 zombies" variety.
Resident Evil.net's content will expand as players traverse the campaign, and participants can earn RE.Net points through the service to unlock bonuses like in-game costumes by both winning and participating.
At Gamescom last week, Polygon spoke with Eiichiro Sasaki, director of Resident Evil 6, who told us that the service was created in part to ensure that players would complete the campaign that the company had spent so much time creating.
The service is designed to expand and aid players' experience. For example, Capcom's Resident Evil 6 team will be able to identify difficult parts of the campaign based on statistics and create challenges targeted at bottlenecks to encourage players to redouble their efforts.
"I definitely think current gamers' approach to gaming is different," Sasaki told Polygon. "That's not good or bad, but the reality is these things will keep changing. It's our job to try and meet these changes and try to come up with solutions. We're trying to create a more interesting way for players to enjoy the game."
Resident Evil 6 was also the recipient of three gameplay videos at Gamescom 2012, staring Leon Kennedy, Chris Redfield, and newcomer Jake. You can watch a video explaining the look and feel of Resident Evil.net below.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor trailer gets cozy with vile Orc
- MMOs help kids learn English faster, says new study
- Costume Quest 2's tricky twins are back on their beat
- Learn to be a Dungeon Master from one of the best this Saturday
- Alone With You coming to PS4 and Vita, reveals its Hitchcockian twist
- Saints Row 4: Re-Elected coming to PS4 and Xbox One, $30 this January