Resident Evil.net, the free online service attached to Resident Evil 6, will launch alongside the game on October 2nd, Capcom announced today.
Resident Evil.net, the free online service attached to Resident Evil 6, the latest installment of Capcom's long-running survival horror franchise, will launch alongside the game on October 2nd, Capcom announced today.
At launch, the service will act as a web portal allowing players access to information about their Resident Evil 6 experiences in real time, and Capcom is developing a smartphone app for iOS, Android, and Windows devices to launch later. Resident Evil.net will offer leader boards, play session statistics, achievements, and high scores that can be compared against friends. It will will also act as a hub for community challenges of the "kill 10,000 zombies" variety.
Resident Evil.net's content will expand as players traverse the campaign, and participants can earn RE.Net points through the service to unlock bonuses like in-game costumes by both winning and participating.
At Gamescom last week, Polygon spoke with Eiichiro Sasaki, director of Resident Evil 6, who told us that the service was created in part to ensure that players would complete the campaign that the company had spent so much time creating.
The service is designed to expand and aid players' experience. For example, Capcom's Resident Evil 6 team will be able to identify difficult parts of the campaign based on statistics and create challenges targeted at bottlenecks to encourage players to redouble their efforts.
"I definitely think current gamers' approach to gaming is different," Sasaki told Polygon. "That's not good or bad, but the reality is these things will keep changing. It's our job to try and meet these changes and try to come up with solutions. We're trying to create a more interesting way for players to enjoy the game."
Resident Evil 6 was also the recipient of three gameplay videos at Gamescom 2012, staring Leon Kennedy, Chris Redfield, and newcomer Jake. You can watch a video explaining the look and feel of Resident Evil.net below.
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Guild Wars' nine year anniversary festivities kick off April 22
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- PlayStation Store flash sale discounts Braid, Tokyo Jungle and more to just $0.99
- Cel Damage HD out on Tuesday for all PlayStation platforms
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Splinter Cell Echoes comic coming this summer
- Final Fantasy 3 could be coming to PC