The Chinese government ruled last week that TV shows cannot be adapted from MMOs.
The Chinese State Administration of Radio, Film, and Television (SARFT) ruled last week that broadcast television shows cannot be adapted from massively multiplayer online games, reports website 178.
The ruling is part of six new guidelines for Chinese television, which bans remakes of foreign shows and mandates that dramas should make clear disctinction between good and evil.
Currently the only massively multiplayer game-based show airing in China is Rift In The Sky, based on the popular series Sword of the Yellow Emperor originally released in the country in 1990. 178 speculates that the series, from one of "the most classical and welcomed Chinese PC/OL game series in China," will likely cease production.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28