The Chinese government ruled last week that TV shows cannot be adapted from MMOs.
The Chinese State Administration of Radio, Film, and Television (SARFT) ruled last week that broadcast television shows cannot be adapted from massively multiplayer online games, reports website 178.
The ruling is part of six new guidelines for Chinese television, which bans remakes of foreign shows and mandates that dramas should make clear disctinction between good and evil.
Currently the only massively multiplayer game-based show airing in China is Rift In The Sky, based on the popular series Sword of the Yellow Emperor originally released in the country in 1990. 178 speculates that the series, from one of "the most classical and welcomed Chinese PC/OL game series in China," will likely cease production.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Really Horrible
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN