DayZ, the zombie mod for Bohemia Interactive's Arma 2, is being developed as its own game by Bohemia, the studio announced today.
"This is the fairy-tale outcome for a mod that many would have said impossible four months ago," said Dean Hall, the creator of the mod, who will serve as project lead on the standalone DayZ game.
The mod itself is not going away; not only will it continue to exist, but Bohemia promises that "development and updates of the mod will continue in parallel with the development of the game." Bohemia plans for DayZ's progression to take after Minecraft, with frequent updates and a discounted alpha version available to the community.
Bohemia is the original developer of Arma 2, which launched in 2009.
More details will be coming soon on the game's official website, dayzgame.com, which doesn't exist yet. Until then, check out our extensive feature on Hall and how his military experience contributed to the development of DayZ.
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Play Settlers of Catan Anytime thanks to HTML 5
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Really Horrible
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders