DayZ, the zombie mod for Bohemia Interactive's Arma 2, is being developed as its own game by Bohemia, the studio announced today.
"This is the fairy-tale outcome for a mod that many would have said impossible four months ago," said Dean Hall, the creator of the mod, who will serve as project lead on the standalone DayZ game.
The mod itself is not going away; not only will it continue to exist, but Bohemia promises that "development and updates of the mod will continue in parallel with the development of the game." Bohemia plans for DayZ's progression to take after Minecraft, with frequent updates and a discounted alpha version available to the community.
Bohemia is the original developer of Arma 2, which launched in 2009.
More details will be coming soon on the game's official website, dayzgame.com, which doesn't exist yet. Until then, check out our extensive feature on Hall and how his military experience contributed to the development of DayZ.
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Why Shadowgate's developers want you dead
- Strike Suit Zero, Dishonored and more available free on Xbox Live Gold in August
- Hearthstone dev invents stories that tell themselves
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta