DayZ, the zombie mod for Bohemia Interactive's Arma 2, is being developed as its own game by Bohemia, the studio announced today.
"This is the fairy-tale outcome for a mod that many would have said impossible four months ago," said Dean Hall, the creator of the mod, who will serve as project lead on the standalone DayZ game.
The mod itself is not going away; not only will it continue to exist, but Bohemia promises that "development and updates of the mod will continue in parallel with the development of the game." Bohemia plans for DayZ's progression to take after Minecraft, with frequent updates and a discounted alpha version available to the community.
Bohemia is the original developer of Arma 2, which launched in 2009.
More details will be coming soon on the game's official website, dayzgame.com, which doesn't exist yet. Until then, check out our extensive feature on Hall and how his military experience contributed to the development of DayZ.
- State of Decay's Lifeline DLC is just the start of Undead Labs' 'long-term ambitions'
- See Star Citizen's dogfighting, and more, in action
- AbleGamers Foundation raised more than $33K at PAX East 2014
- Hearthstone Fireside Gatherings will help players meet in the real world April 26
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Easter Monday MMXIV (Mon 21 April)
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC