DayZ, the zombie mod for Bohemia Interactive's Arma 2, is being developed as its own game by Bohemia, the studio announced today.
"This is the fairy-tale outcome for a mod that many would have said impossible four months ago," said Dean Hall, the creator of the mod, who will serve as project lead on the standalone DayZ game.
The mod itself is not going away; not only will it continue to exist, but Bohemia promises that "development and updates of the mod will continue in parallel with the development of the game." Bohemia plans for DayZ's progression to take after Minecraft, with frequent updates and a discounted alpha version available to the community.
Bohemia is the original developer of Arma 2, which launched in 2009.
More details will be coming soon on the game's official website, dayzgame.com, which doesn't exist yet. Until then, check out our extensive feature on Hall and how his military experience contributed to the development of DayZ.
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)
- How to make "South Park:Stick of Truth" more like Final Fantasy
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Batman Returns (Wed 5 Mar)