Windows 8, like previous versions of Windows, ships with built-in games such as Minesweeper, Solitaire, and Mahjong. But this time around, those games will reportedly offer Xbox Achievements as part of a label called "Xbox Windows," according to listings for the games on Xbox 360 Achievements.
Windows 8, like previous versions of Windows, ships with built-in games such as Minesweeper, Solitaire, and Mahjong. But this time around, those games reportedly offer Xbox Achievements as part of a label called "Xbox Games on Windows 8," according to listings for the games on Xbox 360 Achievements.
The "Xbox Games on Windows 8" branding seems to cover games from the Windows Store, which will also offer titles that were previously released on Xbox Live Arcade, like Ms. Splosion Man and Rocket Riot. "Xbox Games on Windows 8" does not appear to replace the existing Games for Windows Live label, which Microsoft insisted as recently as April will stick around in Windows 8.
We've reached out to Microsoft for more details, and will update this story with any information we receive.
Update: A Microsoft spokesperson responded with a clarification: the label's name is "Xbox Games on Windows 8," not "Xbox Windows." The article has been edited to reflect this. The branding covers "both free and paid games" that are exclusive to Windows 8. The representative added, "Microsoft continues to support the Games for Windows platform, and is additionally making new investments in Windows 8-style games."
In This StoryStream
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Feature to track games?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us