"EverQuest II" gets SOEmote facial recognition today.
Sony Online Entertainment's massively multiplayer online role-playing game EverQuest 2 gets voice and facial recognition support today via SOEmote, Sony announced.
Sony and 3D facial animation company ImageMetrics have partnered up to link players with their EverQuest 2 avatars, using real-time rendering software Live Driver to measure facial movement and match player expression to that of their in-game character. The update also adds new voice fonts that will change an avatars' voice to one of the player's choosing.
"For gamers, and especially roleplayers, the more immersive the experience, the better the game. SOE is using Live Driver in SOEmote to unlock levels of expression and interaction between EQII players that simply haven't been possible until now," said CEO of ImageMetrics Robert Gehorsam in a press release.
Sony is also encouraging players to submit their best 30-second SOEmote videos for a chance to win a trip for two to SOE Live in Las Vegas this October.
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)
- Help needed to find a reputable source for statistics for Indian gaming industry.
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends