Steam adds non-gaming software starting September 5th.
Valve is opening up Steam to non-gaming software, the company announced today, bringing applications ranging from "creativity to productivity" to the digital distribution platform. The first software titles will be released on September 5th.
Non-gaming software sold via Steam will take advantage of the platform's Steamworks features, which include simplified installation, auto-updating, and the ability to save work to the Steam Cloud for cross-platform access from multiple computers.
"The 40 million gamers frequenting Steam are interested in more than playing games," said Valve's Mark Richardson in a press release. "They have told us they would like to have more of their software on Steam, so this expansion is in response to those customer requests."
In July, the Steam mobile application leaked Valve's plans to add non-gaming software to its vast library, with application categories for accounting, animation and modeling, audio production, design and illustration, education, photo editing, software training and more.
Valve says that developers of non-gaming software titles will be able to submit applications via the company's recently announced Steam Greenlight initiative.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Stopping non article videos from auto playing.
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites