Steam's "Big Picture" mode, a TV-friendly redesign of the client's interface, is now publicly available in a beta test period.
Steam's "Big Picture" mode, a TV-friendly redesign of the client's interface, will be available in beta today, and Valve released a video explaining the setup.
Big Picture mode brings Steam into the living room, with a reformatted version of the client that is navigable with a video game controller as well as a keyboard and mouse. A unique non-QWERTY virtual keyboard, "Daisywheel," looks to make text entry faster and easier, and the TV client also includes a controller-friendly web browser "that doesn't suck." In addition, the entire Steam Store and Steam Community are available to Big Picture users.
Steam's Big Picture mode could lead the way for a Steam-enabled living-room device; Valve recently listed a job opening for an industrial designer who would be working on a box that would address "the lack of innovation in the computer hardware space."
Check out the Big Picture details from Valve here, including system requirements and a handy setup guide listing the variety of options available to users. Big Picture supports HDMI, DVI, and even VGA output from your computer to your TV.
Update: Steam's page explaining Big Picture is now live; we've edited the original post above to reflect that. According to the website, the beta launching today is for PC only, but a Mac version is "coming soon."
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Hotline Miami publisher is coming to the rescue of GaymerX after this week's funding mishap (update)
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today