Planetside 2, the upcoming free-to-play massively multiplayer online first-person shooter, may see the release of its third continent delayed until after its current beta concludes.
Planetside 2, the upcoming free-to-play massively multiplayer online first-person shooter, may see the release of its third continent delayed until after the game launches, according to John Smedley, president of Sony Online Entertainment.
"These continents are taking longer than we expected and it's possible we end up launching with two and delivering the 3rd shortly after launch," he wrote in a post on the game's official message board. "We're working super hard but we have some resource bottlenecks. We also are going to see how the game plays with two continents before making any final decisions, so please do us a favor and don't judge any of this before you play the game with two.
"We are showing with Planetside 2 a strong dedication to launching this game when it's ready, and not before."
Planetside 2's beta began on August 3rd, and by the end of the month, beta testers had racked up 535 millions shots fired. Last week, Sonly Online Entertainment announced the game's Alpha Squad Package, a $39.99 pre-launch package that includes weapons, bonuses, and instant access to the beta.
The game is set for release later this year on PC, and through Steam.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Here is why you probably won't get into the LittleBigPlanet 3 private beta this August
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business