After Daniel Sommerville underwent surgery for a brain tumor, several friends created a crowdfunding project to help pay off the $450,000 doctor bill.
After Daniel Sommerville underwent surgery for a brain tumor, several friends created a crowdfunding project to help pay off the $450,000 doctor bill, reports GamesBeat.
Sommerville, who is a dedicated Dungeons & Dragons dungeon master and artist, had a glioblastoma removal without health insurance to back the bills. While he was still unconscious post-surgery, Sommerville's friends put together a fundraising page on Indiegogo. His artwork and and D&D maps are being offered as rewards.
"The sheer numbers Daniel faced didn't leave us with many options," Tyrus Peace, one of Somerville's friends, told GamesBeat.
"Given the number of well known crowdfunding projects, both for business and non-business causes, it seemed like an obvious thing to try. There were varying ideas on how to implement the thing, but we've tried to keep it scalable while also featuring Daniel's art in both the campaign and its rewards."
Sommerville is now home and well, and doctors believe they were able to remove the entirety of the tumor. The campaign has already raised over $8,000, and will end 39 days from now on Wednesday, October 24th.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- There is a human inside this insane Metal Gear cosplay