Dragon Age 3: Inquisition is in development at BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal for a launch in late 2013, BioWare announced today.
Inquisition has been in progress for "about two years now," according to executive producer Mark Darrah. It will run on an RPG engine based on EA DICE's Frostbite 2 engine, new technology that will allow BioWare to "deliver a more expansive world, better visuals, more reactivity to player choices, and more customization."
Darrah added that "a lot of the same team" that worked on the previous entries in the franchise, 2009's Dragon Age: Origins and 2011's Dragon Age 2, is making Inquisition. BioWare said it would not provide details on the story at this point, but according to Darrah, the studios working on Inquisition intend to be open about the development process and integrate feedback from Dragon Age fans along the way. "We've been listening, and we will continue to listen," said Darrah.
BioWare did not specify any platforms for Inquisition. The previous Dragon Age titles are all available on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.
Darrah has spent 15 years at BioWare, and worked on Baldur's Gate, Jade Empire, and Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood before joining the Dragon Age team shortly before the launch of Dragon Age: Origins.
Dragon Age 3 was rumored to be announced at Gamescom last month, but no news on the game came out of the convention.
- Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action
- The new Unreal Tournament looks incredible, see it in motion
- Here is how anyone can get The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition for free
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
- The amazing real-world Assassin's Creed Unity parkour run and how it was created
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Spare Xbox One code
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23