Dragon Age 3: Inquisition is in development at BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal for a launch in late 2013, BioWare announced today.
Inquisition has been in progress for "about two years now," according to executive producer Mark Darrah. It will run on an RPG engine based on EA DICE's Frostbite 2 engine, new technology that will allow BioWare to "deliver a more expansive world, better visuals, more reactivity to player choices, and more customization."
Darrah added that "a lot of the same team" that worked on the previous entries in the franchise, 2009's Dragon Age: Origins and 2011's Dragon Age 2, is making Inquisition. BioWare said it would not provide details on the story at this point, but according to Darrah, the studios working on Inquisition intend to be open about the development process and integrate feedback from Dragon Age fans along the way. "We've been listening, and we will continue to listen," said Darrah.
BioWare did not specify any platforms for Inquisition. The previous Dragon Age titles are all available on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.
Darrah has spent 15 years at BioWare, and worked on Baldur's Gate, Jade Empire, and Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood before joining the Dragon Age team shortly before the launch of Dragon Age: Origins.
Dragon Age 3 was rumored to be announced at Gamescom last month, but no news on the game came out of the convention.
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- Deep Silver buys Homefront from Crytek, moves Homefront: The Revolution to new studio
- This laser-etched map of Zelda's Hyrule is going to sell out fast
- Ex-Silicon Knights dev sentenced in child pornography case, charged with sexual assault
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- PS+ & Stryder
- Tell Us Your Story
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites