The Steam version of Borderlands 2 is region-locked to Russia for players with Russian IP addresses, according to a Reddit thread and confirmation from 2K.
Users from the region who picked up a copy of Borderlands 2 from Steam were surprised to find that they could not play with those without Russian IP addresses and that the game had been translated to Russian with no option for language selection.
The problem extends to surrounding countries like Ukraine, Lithuania, Estonia, and the Commonwealth of Independent States, who are also locked to the Russian version of the game despite Russian not being the dominant language in countries outside of Russia.
Players who paid full price for the game have taken to Reddit to complain that they were not made aware of the game's region-locking or the fact that the game would be in Russian.
The issue seems to only apply to the Steam version of the game, with boxed copies not being region-locked.
2K Games responded to the problem on its own forum, apologizing for not providing information on the game's region-locking during the game's pre-order period.
The statement read:
"2K Games and 1C are aware that digital distribution pages for the Russian, CIS and Baltic states versions of Borderlands 2 contained incorrect information regarding the language and cross territory compatibility support. We apologize that this information was incorrect during the pre-sale and pre-order period for these territories. We are working with our partners to update those pages, and offer any customers who pre-ordered or pre-purchased the game the opportunity to cancel their order and receive a refund.
"Additionally, we are working with our product development teams to investigate potential support for additional languages and options for our customers in these territories. While this was and is not possible for launch, we will provide an update this week on our progress."
The Reddit user who initially posted about the region-locking has started a petition to remove regional and language restrictions from Borderlands 2 for the Commonwealth of Independent States.
2K is expected to provide an update sometime this week. We will update this story as more information is available.
- PAX East 2014: All the games, all the news, all the kilts
- Bungie fires Halo composer Martin O'Donnell (update)
- League of Legends bots will start playing like people in new update
- Eufloria Adventures out on PS Mobile this week
- Half-Life record breaking speedrun clocks in under 21 minutes
- World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor updates won't slow down the game, says Blizzard
- Fable Anniversary designer Ted Timmins leaves Lionhead Studios
- From gatekeepers to guns for hire: The new role of indie game publishers
- World of Darkness developer CCP sees $21 million loss in 2013 fiscal year
- Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn registrations exceed 2 million worldwide