The Steam version of Borderlands 2 is region-locked to Russia for players with Russian IP addresses, according to a Reddit thread and confirmation from 2K.
Users from the region who picked up a copy of Borderlands 2 from Steam were surprised to find that they could not play with those without Russian IP addresses and that the game had been translated to Russian with no option for language selection.
The problem extends to surrounding countries like Ukraine, Lithuania, Estonia, and the Commonwealth of Independent States, who are also locked to the Russian version of the game despite Russian not being the dominant language in countries outside of Russia.
Players who paid full price for the game have taken to Reddit to complain that they were not made aware of the game's region-locking or the fact that the game would be in Russian.
The issue seems to only apply to the Steam version of the game, with boxed copies not being region-locked.
2K Games responded to the problem on its own forum, apologizing for not providing information on the game's region-locking during the game's pre-order period.
The statement read:
"2K Games and 1C are aware that digital distribution pages for the Russian, CIS and Baltic states versions of Borderlands 2 contained incorrect information regarding the language and cross territory compatibility support. We apologize that this information was incorrect during the pre-sale and pre-order period for these territories. We are working with our partners to update those pages, and offer any customers who pre-ordered or pre-purchased the game the opportunity to cancel their order and receive a refund.
"Additionally, we are working with our product development teams to investigate potential support for additional languages and options for our customers in these territories. While this was and is not possible for launch, we will provide an update this week on our progress."
The Reddit user who initially posted about the region-locking has started a petition to remove regional and language restrictions from Borderlands 2 for the Commonwealth of Independent States.
2K is expected to provide an update sometime this week. We will update this story as more information is available.
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Tonight, a nation's favorite game will award a human prize
- Hotline Miami publisher is coming to the rescue of GaymerX after this week's funding mishap
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- Watch The Last of Us: One Night Live right now
- NIS America allegedly backtracks out of GaymerX sponsorship
- How to unlock Thanatophobia, the almost impossible trophy, in Rogue Legacy
- Shadow Warrior takes Hotline Miami references to Europe in this exclusive content on Sept. 26