In many respects, Halo 4’s situation is the stuff of nightmares. 343 Industries is tasked with guiding one of the biggest franchises in video gaming history into the next generation of consoles, all while starting that relaunch on the current generation Xbox 360. They’re assuming the reins of the de facto face of Microsoft’s gaming division after the departure of Bungie Studios, who created the series in 2001. They’re releasing the first true sequel in the series post-Call of Duty paradigm shift. No pressure. A couple of weeks ago, we visited Kirkland, Washington, home to 343i’s gigantic studio space to check out how the game was shaping up. After hours in the game's campaign and with multiplayer and a long chat with the studio development director Frank O'Connor, we came back with a deeper understanding of where the game is and where the franchise is headed.
At last week's Halo 4 preview event, developer 343i unveiled a new multiplayer mode for the series, Dominion.
Dominion takes elements of the Conquest game type found in titles like Battlefield 3, while adding additional, Halo-inspired wrinkles to the mode. Matches start with three unoccupied bases that must be captured in order to earn points over the course of a round. If a control point is occupied long enough, it can be resupplied, which offers additional points after a predetermined amount of time.
The aforementioned wrinkles come in the form of the structures that house each capture...
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- League of Legends World Championship poised to sell out 45K seat stadium
- State of Decay dev's latest project is like the online Pokémon game you've always wanted