The PlayStation 3 will remain under Sony's support until at least 2015; the company has no plans to reduce the pricing of the older models.
The PlayStation 3 will remain under Sony's support until at least 2015, said VP of hardware marketing John Koller. The company has no plans to reduce the pricing of the older models in light of the new, slimmer PS3.
"We're going to continue supporting the PS3 for the next few years," said Koller in an interview with GameSpot. "Absolutely."
"And we're going to continue supporting it not only that long, but as long as there is a development spigot that's running hot. And I can tell you right now, the development spigot for PS3 is very hot. A lot of great games coming," said Koller.
In an interview with Engadget, Koller addressed the different price points for the PS3. Although the latest slims are Sony's new standard, Koller said that neither the $250 160GB model or the $300 320GB will come with a cheaper price tag.
"There's no price drop formally, but the thing that's been happening in the market over the last year or so is that there's been so many retail price promotions, and so many different gift card offers and all those things, being done by all of us (Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony), that we've heard from our consumer, ‘Enough with all these weird price moves. What we really want is content and games and value,'" said Koller.
The $269.99 250GB model, bundled with the "Game of the Year" edition of Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception and $30 worth of content for Dust 514, will be available on September 25th. The $299.99 500GB model will follow on October 30th as an Assassin's Creed 3 bundle.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- $169 worth of awesome games (and Daikatana)
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22