Developer Mythic Entertainment is celebrating the 15th anniversary of massively multiplayer online role-playing game Ultima Online by overthrowing its in-game king, reports the game's official site.
The development team has set up a seven-month-long in-game event that will see the deposition of the current king and the coronation of a new one.
The team has also released several puzzle pieces of the past few days. What these pieces will unlock remains unknown. Mythic is also holding a costume party to celebrate the anniversary at company headquarters in Fairfax, Virginia. The two best costumes, one male and one female, will win a pair of Mythic games off the EA Store.
Ultima Online first launched on September 24th, 1997, and is the longest continuously-running MMO of all time.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends