In a recent interview with Game Informer, Nintendo designer and director Shigeru Miyamoto discussed some unresolved issues with the series' canon, clearing up a few points of contention and putting them to rest.
On the biological controversy surrounding Bowser's children, Miyamoto admits that he does not know who Bowser Jr.'s mother is although he is a legitimate son. The rest of Bowser's seven Koopa Kids are not his children, and are essentially adopted.
In response to a question regarding the Mario characters' willingness to play tennis or race karts with each other despite constantly being at odds, Miyamoto stated that he thinks of the cast as more of "a troupe of actors."
"If you're familiar with things like Popeye and some of the old comic characters, you would oftentimes see this cast of characters that takes on different roles depending on the comic or cartoon," Miyamoto said. "They might be businessman in one [cartoon] or a pirate in another. Depending on the story that was being told, they would change roles. So, to a certain degree, I look at our characters in a similar way and feel that they can take on different roles in different games."
"He's hard-working, and certainly much more physical in nature," he said. "So, I think that a doctor is sort of an unexpected and perhaps unbelievable role for Mario. Perhaps the Dr. Mario you're thinking of was maybe, in some way, not necessarily legitimate."
- Towerfall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- Angry Birds' next game gets a knightly teaser trailer
- Star Wars: The Old Republic trailer teases housing far, far away
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- The Besties: The Best Games of February 2014
- RI senator denied access to 38 Studios case documents
- Goofball Goals - Overview video
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)