Mojang's Markus "Notch" Persson continued to heap scorn upon Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system today, saying that he'd "rather have Minecraft not run on [Windows 8] at all than to play along" with Microsoft.
Microsoft asked Mojang for a hand in certifying Minecraft for Windows 8, but Notch isn't interested. Instead, he said on Twitter, "I told them to stop trying to ruin the PC as an open platform." (Microsoft requires that games on its own stores, including the Xbox Live Arcade version of Minecraft, complete a certification process.) Notch sent a follow-up tweet shortly afterward:
I'd rather have minecraft not run on win 8 at all than to play along. Maybe we can convince a few people not to switch to win 8 that way..— Markus Persson (@notch) September 27, 2012
Notch's tweet echoes his previous comments on Windows 8, which he worries will be a less open platform — especially for indie games. In a Reddit AMA conducted last month, Notch said, "If Microsoft decides to lock down Windows 8, it would be very very bad for indie games and competition in general."
Valve co-founder Gabe Newell previously blasted Windows 8. Blizzard executive Rob Pardo also expressed trepidations, though a senior software engineer at the company later said Blizzard has "no particular fear" of the operating system. Their concerns appear to be related to the Windows Store that is built into the platform, and whether Microsoft will keep the marketplace open.
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Hotline Miami publisher is coming to the rescue of GaymerX after this week's funding mishap (update)
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today