Dark Souls creator contemplates the necessity of an Easy mode.
Dark Souls creator Hidetaka Miyazaki is contemplating the addition of an Easy difficulty mode to widen the notoriously difficult title's audience, he said in an interview with The Metro.
Miyazaki states he wishes his games to be described as "satisfying rather than difficult," while offering the player a sense of accomplishment.
"Having said that, however, it is true that Dark Souls is rather difficult and a number of people may hesitate to play," he explained. "This fact is really sad to me and I am thinking about whether I should prepare another difficulty that everyone can complete or carefully send all gamers the messages behind our difficult games."
He adds that players aren't searching for easy games so much as worthwhile ones, "so I think it is natural that hindrance or stress that does not attribute to such interesting and worthwhile elements will be removed in the end.
"If the number of easy games is increasing nowadays, I guess it is because difficulty is not related to interesting and worthwhile game elements in many games among players."
The PC release of Dark Souls released last week across North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Additional add-on content is scheduled to arrive on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions this Winter.
Update: Namco Bandai has claimed statements from the title's game director Hidetaka Miyazaki regarding an 'Easy mode' for the game were "a mistake because of mistranslation," The Metro now reports.
According to the company, Miyazaki intended to say:
"This fact is really sad to me and I am thinking about how to make everyone complete the game while maintaining the current difficulty and carefully send all gamers the messages behind it."
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Limbo, Skullgirls Encore and more join PlayStation Instant Game Collection in May
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)