Dark Souls creator contemplates the necessity of an Easy mode.
Dark Souls creator Hidetaka Miyazaki is contemplating the addition of an Easy difficulty mode to widen the notoriously difficult title's audience, he said in an interview with The Metro.
Miyazaki states he wishes his games to be described as "satisfying rather than difficult," while offering the player a sense of accomplishment.
"Having said that, however, it is true that Dark Souls is rather difficult and a number of people may hesitate to play," he explained. "This fact is really sad to me and I am thinking about whether I should prepare another difficulty that everyone can complete or carefully send all gamers the messages behind our difficult games."
He adds that players aren't searching for easy games so much as worthwhile ones, "so I think it is natural that hindrance or stress that does not attribute to such interesting and worthwhile elements will be removed in the end.
"If the number of easy games is increasing nowadays, I guess it is because difficulty is not related to interesting and worthwhile game elements in many games among players."
The PC release of Dark Souls released last week across North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Additional add-on content is scheduled to arrive on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions this Winter.
Update: Namco Bandai has claimed statements from the title's game director Hidetaka Miyazaki regarding an 'Easy mode' for the game were "a mistake because of mistranslation," The Metro now reports.
According to the company, Miyazaki intended to say:
"This fact is really sad to me and I am thinking about how to make everyone complete the game while maintaining the current difficulty and carefully send all gamers the messages behind it."
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Grand Theft Auto 5's PC version will get an updated soundtrack
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Tales from the Borderlands lets you stop and smell the chaotic roses
- Hironobu Sakaguchi wanted Chrono Trigger to evolve in a series 'like a Final Fantasy'
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- How's this PC for next gen?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29