A note from Justin Glow, product manager for Polygon:
When Chris Grant and the Grantettes joined Vox Media to create a website about video games, I was excited. Not only to work with Chris again (we both saluted the Running Man every morning at AOL together), but also to dive deep into a project at Vox with the hindsight of having built The Verge. We’ve learned a lot since then, and I was excited to jump in and start working on Polygon.
We started with a project kick-off in May, where the high-level idea of Polygon was pitched to everyone on the Vox product team, and we worked as a group to put together a minimum viable product for launch. (Fixed timeline means fixed scope.) We then transitioned to the solution design phase, where broad ideas are turned into realistic plans, including wireframes for each screen, and lots and lots of user stories. Those wireframes and user stories inform the design and development process, where layers of fidelity are added in an iterative process.
But it doesn't stop there.
Products at Vox are in a constant state of iteration. We're always bug fixing, creating new features, refining the existing, and continuing to evolve the product over time to respond to the ever-changing Internet as a whole.
What you'll see at launch will be the collective work of many months of meetings, design iterations, and late-night development sessions, but represent a small chunk of what our long-term plans are for Polygon.
Likewise, what you'll see in this episode of Press Reset represents an equally small chunk of the process. I hope you enjoy it.
Senior Product Manager, Vox Media
See more Press Reset on our Press Reset hub page.
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Why the makers of Guacamelee decided to make a touch game about a one-armed woman
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- State of Decay's Lifeline DLC is just the start of Undead Labs' 'long-term ambitions'
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!