A note from Justin Glow, product manager for Polygon:
When Chris Grant and the Grantettes joined Vox Media to create a website about video games, I was excited. Not only to work with Chris again (we both saluted the Running Man every morning at AOL together), but also to dive deep into a project at Vox with the hindsight of having built The Verge. We’ve learned a lot since then, and I was excited to jump in and start working on Polygon.
We started with a project kick-off in May, where the high-level idea of Polygon was pitched to everyone on the Vox product team, and we worked as a group to put together a minimum viable product for launch. (Fixed timeline means fixed scope.) We then transitioned to the solution design phase, where broad ideas are turned into realistic plans, including wireframes for each screen, and lots and lots of user stories. Those wireframes and user stories inform the design and development process, where layers of fidelity are added in an iterative process.
But it doesn't stop there.
Products at Vox are in a constant state of iteration. We're always bug fixing, creating new features, refining the existing, and continuing to evolve the product over time to respond to the ever-changing Internet as a whole.
What you'll see at launch will be the collective work of many months of meetings, design iterations, and late-night development sessions, but represent a small chunk of what our long-term plans are for Polygon.
Likewise, what you'll see in this episode of Press Reset represents an equally small chunk of the process. I hope you enjoy it.
Senior Product Manager, Vox Media
See more Press Reset on our Press Reset hub page.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- When a successful game is a failure
- Tales from the Borderlands stars two lying, greedy Pandorians
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Telltale describes the difficulty of starting over in The Walking Dead Season Two
- Goat Simulator's Steam support is the 'most defining and important part'
- Report: Xbox Live could feature targeted political ads
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- Marvel: Avengers Alliance adding Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy content
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Getting a PS4
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- The Last of US DLC
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- The controller: will it get fixed?