A note from Justin Glow, product manager for Polygon:
When Chris Grant and the Grantettes joined Vox Media to create a website about video games, I was excited. Not only to work with Chris again (we both saluted the Running Man every morning at AOL together), but also to dive deep into a project at Vox with the hindsight of having built The Verge. We’ve learned a lot since then, and I was excited to jump in and start working on Polygon.
We started with a project kick-off in May, where the high-level idea of Polygon was pitched to everyone on the Vox product team, and we worked as a group to put together a minimum viable product for launch. (Fixed timeline means fixed scope.) We then transitioned to the solution design phase, where broad ideas are turned into realistic plans, including wireframes for each screen, and lots and lots of user stories. Those wireframes and user stories inform the design and development process, where layers of fidelity are added in an iterative process.
But it doesn't stop there.
Products at Vox are in a constant state of iteration. We're always bug fixing, creating new features, refining the existing, and continuing to evolve the product over time to respond to the ever-changing Internet as a whole.
What you'll see at launch will be the collective work of many months of meetings, design iterations, and late-night development sessions, but represent a small chunk of what our long-term plans are for Polygon.
Likewise, what you'll see in this episode of Press Reset represents an equally small chunk of the process. I hope you enjoy it.
Senior Product Manager, Vox Media
See more Press Reset on our Press Reset hub page.
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- In the face of recent wins, Nintendo's lack of online functions is no longer forgivable
- This is the most accurate Pokémon trailer you'll ever watch
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- 25 character code not working on Xbox1
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?