The beta for Steam's big picture mode, a television-friendly redesign of Valve's online store and gaming platform, launches on Monday, according to a New York Times story about the company's evolution from developer to gaming tech company.
A "public test" for Steam's big picture mode, a television-friendly redesign of Valve's online store and gaming platform, kicks off on Monday, according to a New York Times story about the company's evolution from developer to gaming tech company.
"On Monday, the company will begin a public test of a new television-friendly interface, Big Picture, for buying Steam games and playing them on computers in the living room," according to the story.
Last month, Valve product designer Greg Coomer told GameTrailers TV that a beta for the new interface would be coming in early September.
Big picture mode offers simple, easy-to-read navigation designed specifically for TV, according to the official site.
"With full controller support, big-picture mode will let gamers kick back and enjoy their favorite games on the biggest screen in the house Steam's big-picture mode doesn't require any additional development from you. Just ensure your game works well with a controller, and we'll take care of the rest. And don't worry, keyboard and mouse aren't going anywhere—users will be able to switch between input devices at any time."
We've contacted Valve officials for verification of the beta's release and will update this story when they respond.
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The Walking Dead Season 2: Episode 4 review: existential crisis
- The New Yorker's archives are free - here's a guide to some of its best gaming stories
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- Destiny Beta
- I just want a gritty mature MOBA
- Polygon YouTube Channel
- Thoughts on Destiny