The beta for Steam's big picture mode, a television-friendly redesign of Valve's online store and gaming platform, launches on Monday, according to a New York Times story about the company's evolution from developer to gaming tech company.
A "public test" for Steam's big picture mode, a television-friendly redesign of Valve's online store and gaming platform, kicks off on Monday, according to a New York Times story about the company's evolution from developer to gaming tech company.
"On Monday, the company will begin a public test of a new television-friendly interface, Big Picture, for buying Steam games and playing them on computers in the living room," according to the story.
Last month, Valve product designer Greg Coomer told GameTrailers TV that a beta for the new interface would be coming in early September.
Big picture mode offers simple, easy-to-read navigation designed specifically for TV, according to the official site.
"With full controller support, big-picture mode will let gamers kick back and enjoy their favorite games on the biggest screen in the house Steam's big-picture mode doesn't require any additional development from you. Just ensure your game works well with a controller, and we'll take care of the rest. And don't worry, keyboard and mouse aren't going anywhere—users will be able to switch between input devices at any time."
We've contacted Valve officials for verification of the beta's release and will update this story when they respond.
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies, Street Fighter vets and more designing Magic 2015 cards
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Flick Bird - clone of Flappy Bird
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup