The beta for Steam's big picture mode, a television-friendly redesign of Valve's online store and gaming platform, launches on Monday, according to a New York Times story about the company's evolution from developer to gaming tech company.
A "public test" for Steam's big picture mode, a television-friendly redesign of Valve's online store and gaming platform, kicks off on Monday, according to a New York Times story about the company's evolution from developer to gaming tech company.
"On Monday, the company will begin a public test of a new television-friendly interface, Big Picture, for buying Steam games and playing them on computers in the living room," according to the story.
Last month, Valve product designer Greg Coomer told GameTrailers TV that a beta for the new interface would be coming in early September.
Big picture mode offers simple, easy-to-read navigation designed specifically for TV, according to the official site.
"With full controller support, big-picture mode will let gamers kick back and enjoy their favorite games on the biggest screen in the house Steam's big-picture mode doesn't require any additional development from you. Just ensure your game works well with a controller, and we'll take care of the rest. And don't worry, keyboard and mouse aren't going anywhere—users will be able to switch between input devices at any time."
We've contacted Valve officials for verification of the beta's release and will update this story when they respond.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dungeons & Dragons castle defense game coming to mobile next year
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- People watched Twitch Plays Pokémon for a billion minutes
- In Firewatch, the job isn't to keep the wilderness from burning down
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- How's this PC for next gen?