clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Ubisoft's new Montreal studio working on old and new games alike

New, 6 comments
http://static4.cdn.ubi.com/yvesguillemot05jpg_2541855.5221957.jpg?e=1360365487&h=1eaadb26c98e2997736bc52a1f43c21e

Ubisoft will use the employees of the former THQ Montreal to work on new and old projects alike, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said during an investor call today.

"On the studio side, we are going to see projects in the long run," Guillemot said. "What is very important and interesting is that we will be able to work with those resources on the products that we are already working [on] for next year. So the studio will automatically be introduced in the network of studios we have, and is going to help to grow the games we have on the way at the moment."

Former Ubisoft employee and Assassin's Creed creator Patrice Desilets left the company to join THQ Montreal in 2011, where he had been working on an unannounced title known as 1666. It wasn't immediately clear if he would make the transition back to Ubisoft, but CFO Alain Martinez appears to have alluded to the project in further comments.

"We feel that, with that [acquisition] we have both a team working on a very interesting project, which is more long term, and at the same time we have additional resources that can be used right away for some of our projects," Martinez said.

Earlier in the call, Guillemot announced a new Assassin's Creed game with a new hero slated for the next fiscal year, which runs from April 1, 2013, through March 31, 2014.