Disney and Lucasfilm are finally putting some names to the faces (and the droids) seen in the first teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. That dark and mysterious character, widely suspected of being a new Sith, seen above? His name is Kylo Ren, according to a new batch of trading cards released by J.J. Abrams and company.
Entertainment Weekly received a set of virtual trading cards from Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which detail who's playing who and what we can call that adorable "ball droid" from now on.
- BB-8 is the chirpy ball droid
- Kylo Ren is the man — speculated to be Adam Driver's character — in black robes with the contentious new lightsaber
- Poe Dameron is the beaten up X-Wing pilot played by Oscar Isaac
- Rey is the woman played by Daisy Ridley who rides a new speeder
- Finn is John Boyega's character, a Stormtrooper who's apparently "on the run"
The cards are numbered, and Abrams' says the numbering has some significance. In the original Star Wars trading cards released by Topps, cards were numbered chronologically. Cards #9 through #56, which were blue, tell the story of A New Hope, in order. The next set of cards, which were red, were numbered out of chronological sequence. Lucasfilm's The Force Awakens cards have only three blue cards and five red. That could mean that the first three cards offer a hint about when those teaser trailer scenes appear.
Here's what some of those retro-style trading cards look like. The rest can be seen at Entertainment Weekly.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the seventh episode in the Star Wars saga, is slated to hit movie theaters on Dec. 18, 2015.