clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Sony Pictures lawyer says The Interview will still be released

New, 31 comments

The Interview, the Sony comedy that according to the FBI led to a cyberattack and threats of real violence from North Korea, will still be shown, a Sony Pictures Entertainment lawyer said over the weekend.

Speaking to Chuck Todd on Meet the Press over the weekend, Sony Pictures Entertainment lawyer David Boies said that the movie was only delayed, not canceled.

"Sony has been fighting to get this picture distributed," he said in the interview. "It will be distributed. How it's going to be distributed, I don't think anybody knows quite yet. But it's going to be distributed. And what Sony has been trying to do is to get the picture out to the public. But, at the same time, be sure that the rights of its employees and the rights of the movie-going public are protected."

Last week, the studio released a statement saying it "has no further release plans for the film."

In the wake of news that the movie was coming out, the New York Post reported that the company plans to release the film for free on Crackle, a Sony-owned online video site. But CNN reports that Sony has since refuted that anything has been locked down.

"No decisions have been made. Sony is still exploring options for distribution," according to the statement.

On Friday, President Barack Obama said he was disappointed in Sony's decision to pull the movie and that the decision set a bad precedent for free speech. Later that day, Sony Entertainment CEO Michael Lyton told CNN that the company had not caved.

North Korea has not been a fan of The Interview, a movie in which Seth Rogen and James Franco are asked by the CIA to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

Since the decision to pull the film, something Sony said had to be done because theaters were refusing to show it, several organizations have become involved in the story.

The Republican National Committee sent a letter to the CEOs of 10 major theater chains asking for them to show the film and promising to ask its members to go watch it, according to CNN.

In part, CNN reports, the letter reads:

"As a sign of my commitment, if you agree to show this movie, I will send a note to the Republican Party's millions of donors and supporters urging them to buy a ticket — not to support one movie or Hollywood, but to show North Korea we cannot be bullied into giving up our freedom."

Meanwhile, several theater owners are angry over Sony's public statement placing the blame on them for the movie being pulled. At least three theater industry executives only wanted the film delayed, Variety reports.