Last week, Larry Probst, the longtime executive chairman of Electronic Arts, informed the company's board of directors that he plans to step down as an EA employee effective Jan. 1, according to an SEC filing made public today.
Probst, according to the Dec. 8 filing, will continue serving on the board as its non-executive chairman.
"Larry Probst became an employee of EA again when he stepped in as interim CEO in March 2013," an EA representative told Polygon. "He remained in an employee capacity following Andrew Wilson's appointment as CEO in September 2013 to assist with the CEO transition. He is stepping down as an employee of EA effective January 1, 2015. He remains the chairman of our board and there are no plans for Mr. Probst to step down as Board chairman."
In announcing Andrew Wilson as the next chief executive officer of EA on Sept. 17, 2013, Probst said that he would support Wilson in his transition to CEO, continuing to serve as EA's executive chairman for an "indefinite period."
News of Probst's decision comes as the U.S. Olympic Committee, of which Probst is the head, is making news in its efforts to land the 2024 Olympics.
Probst originally joined EA as vice president of sales in 1984. When John Riccitiello stepped down as president and chief operating officer in 2004, Probst assumed his duties. In 2007, Probst re-hired Riccitiello as CEO. Last year, when Riccitiello once more stepped down, Probst once more took on the day-to-day leadership role of the company as executive chairman while looking for his replacement.
We've reached out to EA for comment and will update this story when they respond.