Capcom and streaming site Twitch are joining together to run a worldwide, year-round Street Fighter league known as the Capcom Pro Tour, the companies announced today.
"The fighting community has always been a huge part of the world of competitive gaming, but has lacked global leagues and structure, which other eSports communities have benefited greatly from," said Victor "Victheslik" Denchartphan, Twitch's fighting game community specialist, in a press release today. "What Capcom is setting out to achieve by organizing a year-long pro tour in tandem with leveraging the Twitch community is definitely going to change the face of the fighting game scene."
Tournaments in the Capcom Pro Tour will feature the Street Fighter 4 series. To start, the league will focus on the latest update in that franchise, Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition ver. 2012. Capcom will transition the Pro Tour to Ultra Street Fighter 4 upon its release on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 this June.
The league consists of tournaments that will take place at leading events in the grassroots fighting game community, as well as tournaments at gaming conventions and online competitions. These events exist in two different tiers: premier events and ranking events.
The inaugural Capcom Pro Tour will feature 10 premier events, and the winner of each one will automatically earn a spot in the bracket for the Pro Tour's grand finals. Here's the current list of premier events, which will all be streamed on the Capcom Fighters Twitch channel:
- Final Round: March 14-16, Atlanta, Ga.
- NorCal Regionals: April 18-20, Sacramento, Calif.
- Southeast Asia Majors: June 20-22, Singapore
- Community Effort Orlando: June 27-29, Orlando, Fla.
- Evolution Championship Series: July 11-13, Las Vegas, Nev.
- The Fall Classic: Oct. 10-12, Raleigh, N.C.
- DreamHack Winter: Nov. 27-30, Jönköping, Sweden
A total of 16 spots will be up for grabs in the Capcom Pro Tour; after the premier event winners, the remaining six qualifiers will be determined by a points structure. The top 16 finishers at premier and ranking events will earn points toward those last six spots. Ranking events include trade shows as well as independently run tournaments. Here's the current list of ranking events:
- SoCal Regionals: Feb. 28 - March 2, Los Angeles, Calif. (points awarded retroactively)
- PAX East: April 11-13, Boston, Mass.
- E3: June 10-12, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Comic-Con International: July 24-27, San Diego, Calif.
More details are available on the Capcom Pro Tour website.