Several video game developers are creating cards for the upcoming 2015 edition of Magic: The Gathering, according to Wizards of the Coast.
Designers of the 14 cards and the games they're best known for include:
- Isaiah Cartwright, lead game designer for Guild Wars 2
- James Ernest, owner and lead designer for Cheapass Games, designer of Kill Doctor Lucky
- George Fan, designer of Plants vs Zombies, whose "Genesis Hydra" card appears below
- Brian Fargo, founder and CEO of InXile Entertainment, director of Bard's Tale, Wasteland, executive producer of Fallout
- Richard "Lord British" Garriot, creator of the Ultima series
- Justin Gary, designer of Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer and Solforge
- Mike "Gabe" Krahulik and Jerry "Tycho" Holkins, creators of Penny Arcade
- Stone Librande, lead designer at Riot Games, designer of Diablo 3, creative director of SimCity
- Edmund McMillen, indie designer of Super Meat Boy, featured in Indie Game: The Movie
- Brad Muir, game designer at Double Fine Productions leading Massive Chalice, project lead on Iron Brigade
- Mike Neumann. Gearbox Software, creative director on Borderlands
- Rob Pardo, chief creative officer at Blizzard, lead designer of World of Warcraft
- Markus "Notch" Persson, creator of Minecraft and founder of Mojang
- David Sirlin. designer on Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, Yomi
The Magic 2015 Core Set that includes the cards will be released July 18, 2014.
The series' next video game, Magic 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers, will launch this summer on Android, iOS, Kindle, Windows PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Twentieth Century Fox is reportedly adapting the trading card game for a theatrical film.