Nearly half of the of the 12 apps lauded in the Apple Design Awards 2014 are iOS games, the company revealed during its annual Worldwide Developer's Conference.
Apple bestows the awards on "exceptional" apps that combine "design and technology in creative, compelling and powerful ways." The five games on this year's list include:
- Blek, Kunabi Brother's dot-based puzzle game
- Device 6, Simogo's thriller that relies on the written word
- Leo's Fortune, 1337 and Senri's adventure game
- Threes!, Sirvo's tile-based puzzle game
- Monument Valley, Ustwo Studios' M.C. Escher-like puzzle game (pictured above)
The awards aren't the only video game-centric news Apple this week. During its 2014 WWDC keynote earlier this week, Apple senior vice president of software engineering Craig Federighi revealed Metal, an upcoming technology designed to increase the efficiency of iOS gaming.