Here we go again.
Sony has directly refuted another rumor that The Last Guardian, a title heavily anticipated since its announcement at E3 five years ago, had been canceled. That's not true, said Scott Rhode, PlayStation's product development head for Sony Worldwide Studios America.
@notaxation @yosp and I laughed at this rumor over dinner. The Last Guardian has NOT been cancelled.— Scott Rohde (@RohdeScott) June 8, 2014
Rohde is referring to Shuhei Yoshida, who is the president of worldwide studios for Sony Computer Entertainment.
The tweet responded to a report from IGN last night, which said a memo circulated at an internal Sony meeting said "The Last Guardian is cancelled." IGN attributed the detail to "an internal source speaking to IGN Russia."
Last fall, Yoshida deflected rumors that The Last Guardian's development had been put on hiatus, saying the game was being "significantly re-engineered," by a well-staffed studio. "We're waiting for the right time to re-introduce The Last Guardian in an appropriate way," Yoshida said. The game's creator, Fumito Ueda, then said he was "terribly sorry" for keeping his audience waiting for so long.
For the latest on The Last Guardian, see Polygon's Friends' List discussion from Thursday, which pondered why gamers care so much about a franchise despite the time it is taking taking to develop.