Xbox One owners will be able to to buy games and automatically download them to their consoles using the SmartGlass app or Xbox.com next month, thanks to the console's next system update.
The new feature will be available to those who have their consoles set to automatically download updates, according to an Xbox Wire post from Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb.
Other changes set to arrive on the Xbox One include more real estate for your Friends on the console's home screen, low battery notifications and more. You can read Major Nelson's details for each below and watch him demonstrate the August update in in the video above.
- Activity feed updates: We're adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We'll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to "like" and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either [publicly] (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You'll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and "like" specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).
- Expanded Friends area on Home: Right from Home, see what's going on with your friends. Stay up-to-date with their current activity, the top trending games your friends are playing, and a leaderboard to see who has been working the hardest on their Gamerscore. We're doing an extended preview on this, rolling it into the early access preview this month to a subset of our preview audience so we can refine it until it's ready for the entire Xbox One market.
- Mobile purchase: One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home - if your console is set to automatically take updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase.
- Low battery notification: You asked for it, now a notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.
- Disable notifications during video: Adding the ability to turn off notifications based feedback we heard from you.
- Enabling 3D Blu-ray: An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.
- OneGuide in Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland: Live TV listings can be configured for four new countries as part of this month's Preview program. And now there is an OneGuide Issue Reporter available under the TV & OneGuide settings, Troubleshooting section.
- Last seen time in Friends list: Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it's been since a friend has been online. For example, "Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5."
For more on the constantly evolving console, be sure to read Polygon's Xbox One review.