Joss Whedon is ready to move on from the Avengers, despite a part of him that "is desperate" to keep working on the films, the director recently told Rolling Stone.
Last month, Marvel announced that it would replace Whedon with Joe and Anthony Russo, the directors of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, for the upcoming Avengers sequels Infinity War Part 1 and Part 2. Whedon has spoken previously about his love for making the movie, but also the stress and exhaustion it caused. He's said before that he won't return to work on future films, and it's a stance he remains firm about.
"It would set me for life — and that life would be about five years long," Whedon said. "It's only going to have more characters and be longer and be a bigger movie ... I feel like I'm trying to grow up. And when I look at this movie, there are some things in here I can say, 'This is a step forward,' and then there are other things I'm like, 'Is this a giant step back? Is this me running in place?' And if I were to shepherd an enormous — I mean really enormous, two-part mega monstrosity — I don't think I'd have the opportunity to grow as an artist. I apologize for using that phrase. I feel like I need a different challenge other than, 'Oh my God, that's huge.'"
Avengers: Age of Ultron hits theaters May 1.
Vox Video: All the Easter eggs in the Age of Ultron trailer